FG may cut salaries to reduce governance cost, says minister
The Federal Government has proposed salary cuts for workers as a way of reducing the high cost of governance in the country.
Disclosing this at the policy dialogue on corruption and cost of governance in Nigeria organized by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission in Abuja on Tuesday, she said the President, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has directed the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission to review the salaries of civil servants as well as the number of federal agencies.
Buhari condemns fresh Benue killings, says violence has no winners
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Tuesday, condemned the killing of 11 people in Gwer West Local Government of Benue State and the reprisals on innocent people by mobs that blocked roads to unleash terror and violence.
His position was contained in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, titled ‘President Buhari condemns cycle of violence, says it has no winners.’
Shehu quoted Buhari as saying “I totally condemn this latest unprovoked violence and counter-attacks on innocent people that had nothing to do with the cause of the violence.”
Boko Haram responsible for Greenfield students kidnap, not bandits — Sheikh Gumi
Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has exonerated bandits from the Greenfield University Students kidnap, saying Boko Haram was responsible. Twenty-two students and a member of staff of the institution were abducted on April 20 while five of them have been killed.
Gumi made the claim in an interview with AIT on Tuesday when asked if he said Boko Haram was behind the abduction. His words: “Yes, really. When we tried to trace them and put some sense into them, the contact who is also a nomadic Fulani, they threatened him. They said if he insists on them they were going to catch him and he will have to pay a ransom before he gets out.
FG commences payment of resident doctors salary arrears May 7
The planned resumption of the suspended strike by the National Association of Resident Doctors(NARD) may be called off as the doctors may start receiving payment of their arrears from Thursday, May 7.
Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zaniab Ahmed, gave this assurance on Tuesday at an exhaustive meeting between the resident doctors, leadership of the House of Representatives, Officials of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Finance.
The doctors, at the resumption of the meeting with Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila, which began last week, said they would suspend the planned resumption of the strike as soon as they get payment for their salary arrears ranging from one to five months.
Makinde under fire over N1.2b Oyo Lodge
Oyo State government’s priority is misplaced by spending N1.2 billion to rebuild its Lodge in Abuja, a former governorship candidate has said.
Chief Adebayo Adelabu, the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the 2019 election, said: “Why will you pull down that liaison office which was beautiful and spend N1.2 billion to rebuild it? That is enough to equip hospitals.” he said.
He described the decision as an error by the Governor Seyi Makinde-led administration. He said the governor has not shown capacity for good leadership.
Amotekun evicts another 137 northerners from Ondo forest
No fewer than 137 northerners have again been evicted from the forest reserves in Ondo state by the state security outfit codenamed Amotekun. Those evicted were occupying the Elegbeka forest reserves along Ifon-Owo road.
Speaking with newsmen in Akure, the state commander of Amotekun, Chief Adetunji Adeleye said that their continued occupation of the forest reserve was a security threat to the state. Adeleye said that all the illegal forest occupants would be escorted out of the state to wherever they came from. “We got an Intelligence report that very many people bombarded (forests at) Elegbeka–Ifon area in the state.
Content created and supplied by: Peterside07 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More