The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said that it welcomed President Muhammadu Buhari from his medical tourism in the United Kingdom, but rejected his declaration that Nigerians should expect the “continuity” of his misrule.
According to the PDP, President Buhari must exit the Presidential Villa by 2023 as “Nigerians vehemently reject any idea of “continuity” that pertains to failed economy, hunger and starvation, banditry, killings, terrorism, kidnapping, abuse of human rights, treasury looting, mindless borrowing and other vices that have characterised the APC administration under the watch of President Buhari.
The PDP also said that the statement by the All Progressives Congress (APC), that President Buhari had been “re-energised” after his medical treatment, was a confirmation that Mr. President had been incapable and lethargic, leading to the inefficiency, disorganisation and general misrule that have bedeviled his administration.
The PDP in a statement by the National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan said, ” While Nigerians are at a loss on the import of President Buhari’s declaration upon his return that what they should expect is “continuity”, our party wishes to remind Mr. President that he was elected for a last term of four years which will end on May 29, 2023.”
The PDP said that it holds the view that whatever purpose his frame of mind on “continuity” was made to serve, that it must not detach from the finality of his leaving office in on May 29, 2023.
Moreover, it said, Nigerians vehemently reject any idea of “continuity” that pertains to failed economy, hunger and starvation, banditry, killings, terrorism, kidnapping, abuse of human rights, treasury looting, mindless borrowing and other vices that have characterised the APC administration under the watch of President Buhari.
According to the PDP, “This is especially as the comment by the APC had already confirmed that our nation had indeed been on auto-pilot leading to shambolic state of affairs in the nation, escalation of violence and insecurity, wrecking of our national economy, policy inconsistency, entrenchment of corruption and impunity, with no hope in sight.”
We accept Arapaja as Southwest chairman of PDP – Fayose Camp
The faction of the Southwest chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) loyal to former Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose, met with the stakeholders in Ogun State on Friday and declared their acceptance of the outcome of the zonal congress election that produced Ambassador Taofeek Arapaja as Chairman.
The camp also assured of its commitment to peace, unity and progress of the party in the zone, saying that none of the members would challenge the congress or its outcome in court.
The group, which met in Abeokuta, Ogun State, identified the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) as the common enemy as PDP members and Nigerians, vowing to join hands and work together to wrest power from APC and redeem the people from the shackles of misgovernance.
At the Ogun State stakeholders meeting led by Hon Ladi Adebutu and the State Chairman, Dr Sikirulai Ogundele, the group also condemned the deployment of violence before and during the congress, advising that use of thugs should be discouraged in the party.
A statement signed by the group’s spokesperson, Lere Olayinka, reads: “After meeting with stakeholders in Ogun State today, it was further resolved that the Fayose group has accepted the outcome of the South-West congress.
“That none of our candidates will go to court as we will stand by what we said during and after the congress.
“The group thanks all delegates to the congress and appreciates Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State and in particular former Governor Ayo Fayose, for his rare demonstration of leadership.”
Source: The Nation
Hoodlums hack Lagos guard to death, injure colleague
A 38-year-old security guard, Saliu Dairi, has met his death at the hands of some hoodlums who attacked him and his colleague, one Isiaka Samba, on their duty post on Alimosho Road, Pako bus stop, Lagos.
Dairi reportedly died from machete cuts inflicted on him by the thugs while Samba sustained injuries to an eye.
City Round learnt that the guards stopped the hoodlums wielding cutlasses around 1am while they were passing through the area and demanded to know where they were heading for.
They reportedly got angry and descended on the guards, attacking them with cutlasses and sticks.
A shop owner in the area, David Afolabi, told our correspondent that it was a resident who heard the guards groaning with pains that alerted other neighbours.
He said, “I knew about the incident when I opened my shop on Wednesday, April 1. I learnt the guards asked those boys about their mission in the area the previous night. Instead of replying, they attacked the guards with cutlasses and killed one of them. The other one sustained injuries to one eye and on admission at a hospital. The incident was reported at the Gowon Estate Division.”
A resident, who identified himself only as Michael said police arrested two suspects in connection with the attack.
Source: The Punch
North Is The Safest Place For Igbos – Ohanaeze
The Igbo apex socio-cultural group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has described northern Nigeria as one of the safest places for Igbos to live in and do their trades.
The chairman of the group in the 19 northern states, Augustine Amaechi, yesterday in Abuja, stated that the region has accommodated Igbos beyond measures, saying that accounted for their prosperity.
Amaechi while acknowledging that there have been some skirmishes with their host communities noted that it is unavoidable as “it is expected in a developing economy.”
On the call for secession in the South East, he said the agitation was due to lack of jobs and employment in the region; stressing that since Igbos are traders, they need the North to maintain their financial strength.
“Our elders are saying that even if the youth are agitating and angry, we need a restructure of Nigeria and not a division of Nigeria because you can’t sell what you produce in your village to make big sales like in Alaba Market in Lagos.”
On his part, the President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, George Obiozor stated that Igbo nation is not at war with anybody.
“All we want is to be treated equally with other people. It is time for us to speak truth to power. We need peace and unity and they can’t be gotten through propaganda and transparency must be followed.”
Source: Daily Trust
Troops eliminate top ISWAP commanders, fighters in Damasak – Army
The Nigerian Army says troops of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) has eliminated 13 top commanders and scores of fighters of Islamic States West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists in Borno.
The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima in a statement on Friday, said that the feat was achieved by a well coordinated of operations of both air and land troops.
Yerima said that several terrorists had met their waterloo in attempts to overrun Damasak and adjoining communities in Mobbar Local Government Area of Borno.
He disclosed that a senior ISWAP commander knowns as Bukar Fitchmeram (aka Abu Aisha) and scores of his fighters, who were on revenge mission at Damasak, fell to the fire power of Nigerian troops.
He said that the terrorist were neutralised as they made a come-back, following the killing of 12 high value ISWAP commanders in Mobbar Local Government Area in a week-long air and ground operations by Nigerian troops.
According to him, in a well-coordinated ground bombardments and aerial strikes by the Nigerian military on various locations in the Northeast, the terrorists, who were denied any sanctuary or respite, desperately conducted two separate failed attacks on Gajiram and Damasak.
“The deadly air strikes conducted on Tudun Wulgo, Zari and Tumbun Alhaji, Kusuma, Sigir in Ngala and Arijallamari, in Abadam, Marte and Ngala Local Government Areas, led to the killing of top ISWAP leaders.
Content created and supplied by: Adamubwada (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More