Sign in
Download Opera News App

Politics Policy

 

Politics

 

Nigeria politics

Breaking News in Nigeria This Evening on Saturday 18th July, 2020

1. Senate President, Lawan speaks on running for presidency in 2023

The Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, has denied he is planning for president in 2023.


This was contained in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media, Ola Awoniyi, on Saturday.


Lawan was reacting to speculations that he could run for the highest office in the land, after President Muhammadu Buhari’s second term elapses.


In the statement, he said it was too early for anyone to harbour ambitions for 2023.


“The report apparently has its source in beer parlour gossips and should be treated with the contempt which it and those who concocted it deserves.


“It is true that the Senate President was involved in the consultations that President Muhammadu Buhari held prior to the last emergency meeting of the National Executive Committee of the ruling All Progressives Congress,” the statement read in part


2. COVID-19: El-Rufai govt approves resumption date, working hours for civil servants in Kaduna


The Kaduna State government has directed civil servants in the State to resume work on Monday, July 20, with strict compliance to COVID-19 protocols.


It also said that Grade Levels 7 to 13 would resume on Tuesday and Thursday, from 9 am-3 pm.


“Public servants in Kaduna State will resume on Monday, July 20 2020, with strict compliance to Covid-19 protocols,” the government tweeted on its verified Twitter page on Saturday.


“Grade Levels 14 and above will be in their offices Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, while Grade Level 7 to 13 will resume on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 9 am-3 pm,” it added


3. NDDC: They wanted N10bn bonus, Akpabio hijacked Buhari’s audit – Joy Nunieh

A former Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Joy Nunieh, has revealed how she was asked to approve N10billion as Christmas bonus.


She made the revelation on Friday in her testimony before the House of Representatives committee on NDDC probe.


Nunieh, who testified via teleconference, noted that her rejection was part of why she was sacked.


She said during her tenure, no palliatives were given, the first time in NDDC history.


“I did not give out Christmas palliatives. I was under pressure to bring N10billion – N1billion per state – but I refused. NDDC worked throughout December. There was no break except on public holidays,” she said


4. Buhari told to sack Malami

President Muhammadu Buhari has been urged to sack the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami.


Austin Okah, National Coordinator of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Youth Frontier, made the call in a statement on Saturday.


He said Malami’s exit would will pave way for an unbiased investigation of responses Ibrahim Magu, suspended chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), provided to the Justice Ayo Salami led panel.


Okah warned that Magu’s allegation against Malami must not be swept under the carpet.


He claimed there were overwhelming evidences of massive corruption against the AGF, adding that he has also been accused of abuse of office


5. Magu has been used and dumped, says Galadima

Buba Galadima, a former ally of President Muhammadu Buhari, says the removal of Ibrahim Magu, suspended acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), is a mere propaganda.


Buhari appointed Mohammaded Umar, former director of operations at the EFCC, as acting head of the commission after suspending Magu.


In an interview with The Sun, Galadima said Magu’s replacement is simply a case of “use and dump”.


He alleged that Magu had been doing the bidding of some powerful elements in the incumbent administration but had stepped on some toes which led to his suspension.


“His suspension was long overdue. Magu should have been long suspended from office but why it took Buhari’s administration five years to remove him may be a surprise to many Nigerians, but for me, it is not,” he said.


“Magu remained that long in office because he has been doing the bidding of some powerful elements in Buhari’s administration.


“But obviously he had stepped on some toes, and that’s why they’ve now decided to do away with him.”


He said the ongoing probe is a propaganda, alleging that nothing fruitful will come out of it.


“I believe Magu has offended a powerful cabal in Buhari’s administration, and that’s why they decided to remove him,” he said.


“I am not trying to defend Magu, I have never been his admirer but Nigerians should not be deceived that Magu was sacked because of Buhari’s administration’s commitment to the anti-corruption war. Magu is just being made a scapegoat to create the impression that Buhari is fighting corruption.


“Go and mark my words, nothing will come out of Magu’s case. It’s just like they want to entertain us, it is all part of propaganda to create impression that this administration is fighting corruption.”


6. FG, WAEC’s resolve to shift WASSCE: What Atiku is saying

Reacting to the development, Atiku said he was elated by the move by the FG and WAEC to shift the date of the examination to September 5, 2020.


He added that he was happy that the government was in consultations with school owners in preparation for reopening of schools.


“I am elated at reports that the Nigerian government and WAEC have resolved to shift the date of examinations to September 5, 2020.


“Equally heartwarming is news that government is in consultation with school owners aimed at reaching specific guidelines by July 29, preparatory to the opening of schools in the country,” Atiku said.

Content created and supplied by: Naijapadi.com (via Opera News )

Ahmad Lawan Kaduna State Muhammadu Buhari Nigeria Ola Awoniyi

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments