It was gathered that in a list released on Thursday, October 7, the commission added the name Valentine Chineto Ozigbo as a cadidate for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
It would be recalled that the opposition didn't have it's candidate in the list earlier released by the national electoral commission back in July.
The national commissioner and chairman,information and voter education committee, Festus Okoye, in a statement shared on Facebook said by 18 registered political parties will be participating in the election scheduled to hold on November 6.
Below are the final list of candidates for Anambra 2021 Governorship poll:
1. Ekene Alex Nwankwo (Accord Party, A)
2. Doreen Ifeoma Madukaarisa (Action Alliance, AA)
3. Obi Sylvester Chukwudozie (African Action Congress, AAC)
4. Akachukwu Sullivan Nwankpo (African Democratic Congress, ADC)
5. Prince Ume-Ezeoke Afam Luke Douglas (Action Democratic Party, ADP)
6. Emmanuel Andy Nnamdi Uba (All Progressives Congress, APC)
7. Chukwuma Michael Umeoji (All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA)
8. Eze Robinson Chukwuma (Allied Peoples Movement, APM)
9. Azubuike Philip Echetebu (Action Peoples Party, APP)
10. Chika Jerry Okeke (Boot Party, BP)
11. Agbasimalo Obiora Emmanuel (Labour Party, LP)
12. Ohajimkpo Leonard Emeka (New Nigeria Peoples Party,NNPP)
13. Adaobi Uchenna Okpeke (National Rescue Movement,NRM)
14. Valentine Chineto Ozigbo (Peoples Democratic Party, PDP)
15. Nnamdi Nwawuo (Peoples Redemption Party, PRP)
16. Ekelem Edward Arinze (Social Democratic Party, SDP)
17. Ifeanyi Patrick Ubah (Young Progressive Party, YPP)
18. Ugwoji Martin Uchenna (Zenith Labour Party, ZLP).
However, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has also expressed concern over the sit-at-home action in Anambra state.
It noted that the development was adversely affecting its preparations for the state governorship election slated for Saturday, November 6.
Daily Trust newspaper reports that the Anambra state INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner, Dr. Nwachukwu Orji, said this during a workshop, held in Awka, on Tuesday, October 5.
His words: “Our preparations are on course, even with all the challenges we're facing, such as the attack on our state office on May 23rd and the sit-at-home which are eating into our preparation time, but we are doing our best.
“Ad hoc staff are already being recruited online and we're interacting with the stakeholders and we are happy with where we are now and we are confident that come November 6, we will have a successful election.”
In another development, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has rejected alleged moves by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to store election materials in Imo state.
The PDP national publicity secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, called on the electoral chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, to come clean on reports that the commission plans to conduct the guber poll from the southeast state.
The PDP described the alleged reports as a direct recipe for a serious crisis in Anambra state.In a statement shared on the opposition's Facebook page on Monday, September 13, PDP insisted that any attempt to hand over the materials to Governor Hope Uzodimma by storing them in Imo amounts to rigging the gubernatorial election before it takes place.
Ologbondiyan added that such a move could lead to a breakdown of law and order in the zone and scuttle the November 6 election.
PDP suggested Enugu state given the availability of a functional airport and secure environment with regional security formations as a better choice to store election materials.
Content created and supplied by: Eyes.ng (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More