Anambra is a Nigerian state located in the southeastern region. It has a population of over 11 million people, according to the 2006 population census.
The state was formed by the military regime in 1976 from the former East Central State and is called after one of its clans, the Anam. Anambra is an acronym of Anam branch, a name given to the Omambala region by the first British colonialists.
Awka, the state capital, is a rapidly rising city with a population that grew from 300,000 to 2.5 million people between 2006 and 2018. The historic port city of Onitsha, which dates back to the pre-colonial era, is still a significant center of business in the state.
Anambra State, dubbed the "Light of the Nation," is the eighth most populous state in the country.
However, nineteen people have been governors of the state between 1976 and now. They include:
1. John Atom ruled between 1976 and 1978.
2. Colonel Sadiq Abubakar ruled between 1978 and 1979. He handed over power to a democratically elected governor in 1979.
3. Jim Nwobodo governed the state between 1979 and 1983.
4. Christian Onoh governed for just three months, from October 1983 to December 1983.
5. Allison Madueke ruled the state between 1984 and 1985.
6. Samson Omeruah ruled between 1985 and 1987.
7. Robert Akonobi led the state between 1987 and 1990.
8. Herbert Eze ruled between 1990 and 1991.
9. Joseph Abulu, from 1991 to 1992.
10. Chukwuemeka Ezeife ruled between 1992 and 1993.
11. Dabo Aliyu ruled between November 1993 and December 1993.
12. Mike Attah governed from 1993 to 1996.
13. Rufai Garba ruled from 1996 to 1998.
14. Emmanuel Ukaegbu governed from 1998 to 1999.
15. Chinwoke Mbadinuju ruled between 1999 and 2003.
16. Chris Ngige from 2003 to 2006.
17. Peter Obi ruled from 2006 to 2014.
18. Virginia Etiba was appointed when Peter Obi was impeached in November 2006 and later handed over power to Obi when the court nullified his impeachment.
19. Willie Obiano, from 2014 to the present.
Photo credit: Google
Content created and supplied by: Worldfashion (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More