Okonjo Iweala Thanks Nigerians And Buhari
Former Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has thanked Nigerians and President Muhammadu Buhari for their support following her emergence as the sole candidate for the top job at the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
She also extended her appreciation to the United States government after the country endorsed her to become the Director-General of the global trade body.
Okonjo-Iweala, who was vying for the job with the Republic of Korea’s Trade Minister, Yoo Myung-hee, showed gratitude via her verified Twitter handle on Friday.
While the majority of the member-countries of the organisation had endorsed the Nigerian candidate, Ms Myung-hee had enjoyed the support of former U.S. President Donald Trump in their bids to become the WTO DG.
On Friday, the Korean minister announced that she was abandoning her bid to lead the international trade body, leading to Okonjo-Iweala’s emergence as the sole candidate for the job.
Following the development, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, in a statement, said, “The United States takes note of today’s decision by the Republic of Korea’s Trade Minister Yoo Myung-hee to withdraw her candidacy for Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
“The Biden-Harris Administration is pleased to express its strong support for the candidacy of Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the next Director-General of the WTO.
“Dr Okonjo-Iweala brings a wealth of knowledge in economics and international diplomacy from her 25 years with the World Bank and two terms as Nigerian Finance Minister.
“She is widely respected for her effective leadership and has proven experience managing a large international organization with a diverse membership,” it added.
Okonjo-Iweala, 66, was nominated as Nigeria’s candidate to lead the WTO by President Muhammadu Buhari in June 2020.
She is a Nigerian-American economist and international development expert who has a 25-year career at the World Bank, scaling the ranks to the second top position of Managing Director, Operations.
The Delta State-born economist served two terms as the minister of finance under former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan respectively.
Ken Speaks On 2023 Presidency
Ken Nnamani, a former senate president, says the All Progressive Congress (APC) may find it difficult to produce a good candidate like President Muhammadu Buhari to carry on with the party’s legacy in 2023.
Nnamani spoke on Friday, when he featured on Politics Today, a Channels Television programme.
Speaking on the future of the APC after the tenure of Buhari, Nnamani said the party is repositioning itself to become better.
“Mr. president believes in leaving a strong legacy and I understand from all his actions so far that he wants to live a strong party long after he has left office.
“To do this, he wants us to start from the foundation. It is not the first time the party is doing registration and revalidation. The last time we did it, there were those that were 18 years and would like to participate, those that have passed on; we have to update the register.
“We are doing all we can to reposition the party because the party was more of… I wouldn’t like to say the word shambles. The constitution of the party is being reviewed. There is so much to be done.
It may be difficult to find a candidate of his caliber because he comes into election with 10 million votes in advance. He has core followers.
“We will look hard and see if we can get people or somebody in that category. It will not be easy, however, he is trying to lay a strong foundation; that is this registration and revalidation exercise going on. So it is meant to strengthen the party and make it more attractive. So, I think if the party is attractive enough, it has future.”
Asked if the Buhari-led administration has been fair to the south-west, Nnamani said the APC government has done tremendously well for the region.
“I drove from Owerri to Enugu just two days ago; I came back to Abuja just yesterday. The Enugu-Port Harcourt road that has remained a death trap, if you have seen it yourself, the quality of construction going on, they use granite stones where they feel the soil is bad,” he said.
“Then take the second Niger Bridge which is done by President Buhari’s administration, it has been on the drawing board for a long time. At times it is in the constitution, at times, it is not.“
Take Enugu Airport, for instance, it appeared in about four different appropriation bills passed but was never billed until this time.
“Infrastructurally, although it has not been publicised, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has done tremendously well in the south-east.”
Kogi Gov. Speaks
The Kogi State Government has denied media reports that Fulani herdsmen invaded and burn down Government Secondary School, Iluke-Bunu.
In a statement on Friday, Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, said nothing of such happened in the state.
Fanwo asked Nigerians to be careful of sharing fake news and videos, saying such baseless speculation could spark tension on the state.
He added that the fire incident that happened in the area was caused by indiscriminate bush burning by unknown persons.
The commissioner said those responsible, no matter their tribe or position, would be made to face the full wrath of the law.
Fanwo noted that Kogi State enjoyed peaceful coexistence with the Fulani, Bassa, Nupe and other communities living or doing businesses in the state.
The statement reads: “As we continue to investigate the cause of the inferno, we sue for caution in making statements that can undermine the peaceful coexistence of the people of Kogi State and other ethnic groups in the state.
“Education remains number one on our thematic areas. As a government, we will resist any form of attack on facilities where we are building the generation-next Kogites that we expect to be sound academically and believe in the unity of our dear nation.
“We sympathise with the Iluke community and all those affected directly and indirectly by the inferno.
The Governor of Kogi State has directed for the immediate rehabilitation of the school to ensure academic activities are not affected.
“He has also directed the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology to immediately put temporary measures in place to ensure students at the school continue with their education unhindered.
“The people of Kogi State should continue to trust government to protect them against any form of violence and other crimes.”
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, has faulted the decision of the Central Bank of Nigeria to shutdown cryptocurrency operations.
The former Vice President noted that with Nigeria’s economic crisis, the country needs all the help it can get to get out of its present economic quagmire.
He said this in a statement titled, ‘We Need To Open Up Our Economy, Not Close It’, which he signed and made available to newsmen in Abuja, on Saturday.
Atiku said, “The number one challenge facing Nigeria is youth unemployment. In fact, it is not a challenge, it is an emergency. It affects our economy, and is exacerbating insecurity in the nation.
“What Nigeria needs now, perhaps more than ever, are jobs and an opening up of our economy, especially after today’s report by the National Bureau of Statistics indicated that foreign capital inflow into Nigeria is at a four year low, having plummeted from $23.9 billion in 2019, to just $9.68 billion in 2020.
Already, the nation suffered severe economic losses from the border closure, and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“This is definitely the wrong time to introduce policies that will restrict the inflow of capital into Nigeria, and I urge that the policy to prohibit the dealing and transaction of cryptocurrencies be revisited.”
The former Vice President further said, “It is possible to regulate the sub sector and prevent any abuse that may be inimical to national security. That may be a better option, than an outright shutdown.
There is already immense economic pressure on our youths. It must be the job of the government, therefore, to reduce that pressure, rather than adding to it.
“We must create jobs in Nigeria. We must expand the economy. We must remove every impediment towards investments. We owe the Nigerian people that much.”
Former Lagos State governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has expressed sadness over the transition of Akirun of Ikirun, Oba AbdulRauf Olawale Adedeji 11.
He commiserated with the family, friends and associates of the late monarch and the people of ancient Ikirunland over the transition.
In a condolence message by his Media Office yesterday, Tinubu described Oba Adedeji as visionary and progressive.
He said: “I’m deeply saddened by the sudden transition of Akirun of Ikirun, Oba AbdulRauf Olawale Adedeji 11.
“Akirun is a notable traditional ruler in Osun State. His reign brought significant attention, peace, and development to Ikirun and his people.
“As a royal father, he was visionary and progressive. Oba Adedeji was a partner who believes in our cause.
I commiserate with his family including the first son who is the state’s Commissioner for Innovation, Science and Technology, Hon. Babatunde Olawale, friends and associates of the late monarch and the people of ancient Ikirun town.
“May Allah comfort them at this moment and give them the strength and fortitude to live through this transition.
“I also mourn with Governor Adegboyega Oyetola and members of the state Council of Traditional Rulers over the loss of an eminent citizen of the state.
“I pray that Almighty Allah forgive the shortcomings of the late monarch, reward his good deeds and grant him Aljanah Firdaus.
Content created and supplied by: 7starr (via Opera News )