Ex-Borno Commissioner, Bura Reacts To His Sack By Gov Zulum
Borno State governor, Babagana Umara Zulum on Tuesday, dismissed the state Commissioner of Health, Dr. Salisu Kwaya Bura, Naija News reports.
Speaking with newsmen shortly after his sack was confirmed in a statement by the state government, Bura said his appointment was not terminated on political bases as claimed in some quarters.
The ex-commissioner expressed his gratitude to Governor Zulum for giving him the opportunity to serve in his capacity in the ministry. He stated that out of thousands of people who lobbied to be appointed to head the Ministry of Health in Borno State, Zulum at that time found him worthy to take up the job.
Second Wave: PTF Threatens To Shut Down Schools
The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, on Monday, noted that it won’t hesitate to shut down schools across the country if COVID-19 cases increase.
The warning was issued by the PTF National Incident Manager, Mukhtar Muhammed, in a video posted on Twitter by the PTF on Monday.
Muhammed said, “The issue of school reopening is something that the PTF has discussed very extensively. The ministry of education decided to open the schools. Based on our own understanding, it was the states that actually wanted to have the schools reopened.”
“Now, the PTF is watching this very closely, we are monitoring what is going on and if we find out that cases continue to rise in the country and we start to have incidences in schools, certainly, we will have the schools closed.”
“In the first instance, we should have delayed opening of the schools but now that the schools are opened, the PTF will continue to monitor very closely with all the schools to ensure that they institute measures and ensure that people follow as much as possible.”
Recall that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, had earlier stated that travels, reopening of schools, businesses and religious centres contributed to the rise in coronavirus cases in Nigeria during the first wave.
Nigerian Army Speaks On Secret Killing Of 6 Igbo Soldiers
The Nigerian Army has reacted to the allegation that six soldiers of Igbo extraction were executed based on orders given by the now-former Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Tukur Buratai.
A report on Tuesday based on a statement that originated from a group of human rights activists had claimed that the soldiers were executed secretly.
The group claimed it was informed of the development by an international human rights lawyer, Barr E.R. Okoroafor, who reportedly alleged he was denied the right to defend his client at the secret trial.
The coalition claimed in its report that the soldiers, identified as Prince Ukwuoma, son of a traditional ruler; Ebube Isaiah, Amos Azubuike, Ekene Ebere, Moses Anyim, and Godwin Uchendu were all killed on the 25th of January, 2021.
It added that they were accused of complicity in a missing weapons case that was made at Abacha Barracks involving a total of twelve soldiers and a senior colonel.
It alleged that others involved in guarding the armoury at the barrack were absolved of the blame while the six soldiers were sent for court-martial, denied representation based on what he (Barr Okorafor) claimed as military authorities telling him a civilian lawyer can’t represent them in the case.
Ikpeazu goes after ‘criminal herdsmen’
Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State has directed security agents in the state to bring to justice all those involved in criminal activities, including the herdsmen fingered in recent kidnappings in some areas of the state.
Governor Ikpeazu also expressed anger at the “destruction of farmlands by cows grazing openly in violation of extant laws of the state and Nigeria.”
In a statement by the Commissioner for Information, John Kalu, the governor urged Abians to go about their lawful businesses, as security agencies were taking charge.
According to the statement, Abia State government “condemns, without reservations, the activities of criminal herdsmen suspected to have masterminded recent brazen kidnap of innocent citizens around Abia North Senatorial Zone of the state.
Ex-gov Kalu asks court to stop alleged fraud trial
Former Abia State Governor and current Chief Whip of the Senate, Orji Uzor Kalu, on Tuesday, asked the Federal High Court, Abuja, to prohibit the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission from retrying him.
Kalu wants the court to prohibit the anti-graft agency from retrying him on the same alleged money laundering charges the agency had tried him on, which he was eventually convicted of and sentenced to prison for 12 years.
In a motion ex parte moved before Justice Inyang Ekwo, Kalu contended that having been tried, convicted, and sentenced on the same charge FHC/ABJ/CR/56/ 2007, by the court, it would amount to double jeopardy if he was subjected to a fresh trial on the same charge.
In the motion, which was moved by his counsel, Prof. Awa Kalu, SAN, the senator asked for an order prohibiting the Federal Government, through the EFCC from retrying him.
Content created and supplied by: Water2005 (via Opera News )