Ekiti bans traditional festivals, vows to prosecute defaulters
As part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19, the Ekiti State Government on Saturday announced the suspension of all pending local and traditional festivals in the state.
In a statement in Ado-Ekiti by the State Coordinator of COVID-19 Task Force Response Team, Prof Bolaji Aluko, the government directed traditional rulers in towns and villages to indefinitely suspend all local festivals in their domain.
Ekiti labour threatens strike, issues 14-day ultimatum
The union gave the ultimatum in a letter dated July 16, addressed to Fayemi and made available to journalists in Ado-Ekiti on Saturday.
The organised labour said the ultimatum commences from Monday, July 20 and lapses on August 3, within which the governor is expected to redeem his pledge or face mass action.
The letter was jointly signed by the Chairmen of Nigerian Labour Congress, Com. Kolapo Olatunde, his counterparts in the Trade Union Congress, Com. Sola Adigun and Joint Negotiating Council, Com. Kayode Fatomiluyi, as well as their Secretaries.
Edo, Ondo polls: Fresh legal hurdles for Obaseki, Ajayi
GOVERNOR Godwin Obaseki of Edo State, his deputy Mr. Philip Shaibu and the Ondo State Deputy Governor, Mr. Agboola Ajayi, are facing fresh battles in the run-up to the coming governorship elections.
Different individuals filed suits in courts to seek their disqualification.
Obaseki and Shaibu are seeking a fresh mandate in the September 19 election on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) while Ajayi wants the PDP ticket in Ondo State.
They were all members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) until last month when they switched camps.
The plaintiffs in the suit against Obaseki and Shaibu are the APC and one of its members, Mr. Edobor Williams.
Shaibu, in the suit with reference number FHC/B/CS/75/2020, is alleged to have presented a forged West African School Certificate and tax clearance certificates to INEC, contrary to Section 31 of the Electoral Act and Section 182 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
FG to save $300m from barite importation
The Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Mr Olamilekan Adegbite, says the Federal Government will soon ban the importation of barite to help the country save foreign exchange for other useful purposes.
Adegbite, who said this when he featured as a special guest on News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) programme: Forum, noted that about $300million was spent annually to import barite from Morocco.
Barite is a mineral consisting of barium sulphate, typically occurring as colourless prismatic crystals or thin white flakes used in the oil industry and also part of the drilling mud mixture.
The minister said a consultant had been engaged by the ministry to workout modalities for sourcing barite locally and also end its importation into the country.
South-East senators in messy fight over indigenous automobile firm
The South-East Caucus in the Senate is in the news for the bad reason as two of its members are using foul language against each other over alleged attempt to de-market an indigenous automobile firm in the region.
The arrowheads of the fight, which has already gone messy, are Senators Ifeanyi Ubah (Anambra South) and Chukwuka Utazi (Enugu State).
For informing the Senate that a certain South-East Senator had attempted to de-market and destroy the business of the indigenous automobile firm in the South East, the Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Limited, Ubah, in a letter dated July 17th, 2020, asked Utazi to immediately tender an unreserved apology to the entire South East, the Senate and himself for misinforming the public.
Content created and supplied by: Peterside07 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More