Gunmen Attacks Adamawa United FC.
Gunmen have attacked the Adamawa United FC, dispossessed players of valuables and kidnapped the team driver.
The gunmen are said to have demanded N50 million ransom for the driver.
It was gathered from sources in Adamawa State on Saturday that the incident occurred earlier in the day, at about 6.30 am, along the Benin-Ore-Lagos road while the team was travelling for a game in Lagos.
A member of the team who spoke on phone regarding the incident said the players and officials were attacked by the gunmen who suddenly emerged from the bush and held up the team at gunpoint.
The inside source said the phones of the team members, their money and other valuables were taken away by the attackers.
It has been confirmed that the Adamawa United FC was travelling for their Week 11 NPFL fixture against the MFM FC in Lagos.
According to the player, Sadiq Lawal, who was with the team when the incident occurred and who spoke from Benin, Edo State capital where the team members returned to after the attack, about eight of the attackers emerged from the bush and swooped on the team’s vehicle, shooting into the air.
President Buhari Reacts As Another Top Military Personnel Dies.
A former Director of Military Intelligence (DMI) and Minister of Communications, Social Development, Youths and Sports, Brigadier-General Ahmed Abdullahi Aboki (rtd) has died.
Reacting to Aboki’s death in a statement signed by Garba Shehu and made available to newsmen on Saturday, President Muhammadu Buhari expressed sadness over the death of the former Military Governor of Kwara State.
Buhari condoled with the family and friends of the former Military administrator and the government and people of Nasarawa State.
He noted the contributions of the All Progressives Congress (APC) stalwart to the achievements of the governing party in both the state and the national levels.
The president also recalled the distinguished career and contributions to national development of the one-time DMI, Minister of Communications, Social Development, Youth and Sports.
Buhari urged all those mourning Gen. Aboki to take consolation in the knowledge that he served his country and community admirably.
Residents Flee Ogun Villages, Head For Benin Republic Because Of Herdsmen Crisis.
No fewer than 28 lives have been lost in various communities in Yewa North Local Government Area, Ogun State in the last one week or thereabout as a result of deadly attacks believed to have been carried out by herdsmen. The attacks and the resultant deaths were in spite of repeated assurances of protection by the state government and security agencies.
Hostilities between herdsmen and residents of about 29 agrarian communities in the aforementioned part of Ogun State dates back to as far as 15 years. The affected villages had been attacked in recent times by terror herdsmen who were said to have camped at Eggua, a neighbouring town from where they moved with their hordes of cattle, ravaging farmlands within the Ketu-Yewa communities, which share borders with the Republic of Benin.
The villages include Ateru, Moro, Ologun, Agbon-Ojodu, Asa, Igbota, Ogunba-Aiyetoro, Oke-Odo, Ibore, Gbokoto, Iselu, Ijale, Ohunbe, Igbeme, Owode-Ketu, Igan-Alade, Lashilo, Oja Odan, Ijoun, Ateru, Moro, Ologun, Iyana Meta, Igbooro, Egbeda and Kuse, among others.
The armed herdsmen, who usually lead their flock in search of pastures because of the rich vegetation in the Ketu-speaking villages, have also been fingered in the destruction of cash crops belonging to the native farmers as well as killings and raping of women who are mostly natives of the communities.
The face-off peaked late last year when the residents prevented the herders from grazing and banished them from the communities.
The Nation had exclusively reported how some soldiers attached to 35 Artillery Brigade, Alamala, Abeokuta, later escorted the herders to the villages and openly flogged residents for rejecting them.
In a bid to discountenance the report, the soldiers again visited the communities a week after the story was published asking the victims to recant, but the brutalised residents refused.
IPOB Blows Hot, Blasts Nigerian Military Over Raid Of Orlu.
The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, says the military raid of Orlu and Orsu Local Government Areas of Imo State on Thursday marked the beginning of the second Nigeria/Biafra war.
IPOB, which made the declaration in a statement by its Media and Publicity Secretary Emma Powerful, said that Nigeria had officially declared war against Biafra by launching a military raid on unarmed civilians.
On Thursday, the military had admitted launching land and air operations against operatives of Eastern Security Network, ESN, believed to be in the forests in Orlu and its environs.
IPOB argued that the military had no justification for launching an attack on ESN, a mere vigilante group protecting the Eastern region's people against terrorists and killer herdsmen, whereas bandits rampaging the country are untouched.
The pro-Biafra movement vowed to defend Biafran land against occupation by herders no matter the cost.
After a series of attacks on Easterners resident in some northern states, Biafran's earlier attempt on self-rule led to a 30-month bloody civil war between 1967 and 1970.
IPOB said Biafrans had no option left other than self-defence because the world has kept mute despite complaints and petitions over unprovoked genocidal attacks by killer herdsmen and terrorists against indigenous people in Nigeria.
Content created and supplied by: CoachAnny (via Opera News )