General Sani Abacha, born on September 20, 1943, was Nigeria’s military head of state from November 17, 1993 to June 8, 1998 when he died suddenly. It is now 22 years since he died, but how much of his history do you still remember?
1) Abacha is kanuri by tribe, originally from Borno State, General Sani Abacha was Born and brought up in Kano state, which he made his home.
3. General sani abacha had his last child in 1994 when he was 50. The boy was named Mustapha, supposedly after Abacha’s chief security officer, Hamza al Mustapha.
4. Abacha was the first and only military head of state who never skipped a rank to become a full-star general.
5. Abacha announced the coup that brought an end to the government of President Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983, and brought Major-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari to power.
6. He was known as a man of “few words and deadly actions” and he demonstrated this as head of state with one of the most brutal regimes Nigeria has ever had.
7. Abacha was commissioned 2nd lieutenant in 1963 after he had attended the Mons Defence Officers Cadet Training College in Aldershot, England.
8. Abacha was elected chairperson of The Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas), a regional economic bloc.
Content created and supplied by: studio.opera.com (via Opera News )