THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
2. Majority of the Tiv migrated into the Benue valley during the Great Dispersal in the _________ century. ANS. 19th Century
3. Few of Tiv people are still living in_____________, Akwaya division of Southwestern Province, Cameroun. ANS. Jobo district
4. A group of two or more genealogically-related districts join to form a clan. Mention the mega-clans that stretch to Taraba State, where they lived for over 100 years before the states was created. ANS. Ukum, Shitile and Ugondo
5. The Iharev mega-clans of ___________have lived with their Arago and Koro neighbours since the 18th century, long ago before Nasarawa State was created. ANS. Isherev and Utyondo
6. Which other clan has also stretched across to Nasarawa and Plateau states, just like Isherev and Utyondo. ANS. Nongov
7. In Taraba, Tiv are indigenous to which local governments? ANS. Bali, Donga, Gassol, Ibi, Takum and Wukari LGAs
8. Historically, the Tiv people in Taraba State particularly the Ukum, Shitile and Ugondo clans arrived the present area of Taraba State at the same time with the ____________between 1750 and 1800AD. ANS. Chamba tribes
9. Which year did effective penetration of Tiv land by the British was accomplished? ANS about 1915.
10. It is common knowledge that Tiv had no Central Chief until which year? ANS. 1946.
11. When Tiv division was created in 1938, the Tiv in Katsina-Ala District were placed under Tiv native authority in _______ ANS. Gboko
12. What were the segments of Tiv clans which were left in Wukari division under the authority of the Aku Uka of Wukari.? ANS. Gaambe Tiev, Ukum and Shitile
13. The boundary separating Tiv Native Authority Division and Wukari which became known as Wukari Federation was made fragment through homogenous Tiv Villages such as _______ ANS. (Gbeji, Vaase, Abako, Sai, Peva/Chanchanji and Kashimbila
14. The detail photographs of the Tiv villages includes; Tor-Damsa, Tse-Afogba Tse-Kpandi (all of them Ugondo) in present ___________ Local Government Area in taraba State. ANS. Donga
15. Which year was Benue State created out of the old Benue-Plateau State? ANS. in 1976
16. Late Very Rev. Fr. Moses Orshio Adasu was elected governor of benue state from 2nd january 1992 to _________ ANS. november 1993
17. According to oral tradition of Tiv origin, those people came to their current location (Benue River in Nigeria) from the__________ ANS. Southeast
18. Official history recorded that the Tiv tribe had the first contact with Europeans in November ________ ANS. 1907.
19. Tiv people believe that __________ is their founding father. ANS. Takuruku, Gbe, Shon, Awanje, and Karagbe.
20. Ichongo gave birth to six children name them __________- ANS. Ikyura, Gondo, Nongo, Mase, Ihar, and Turan
21. Ipusu gave birth to three children name them __________ ANS. Kum, Kpar, Shitire
22. The population of the Tiv people resident in Benue State are spread over how any Local Government Areas, and in Zone A and B. ANS. fourteen (14)
23. Mention two major Markets in Buruku local goverment: ANS. Tyowanye, Abwa, Adi, Ugbema, Ortese, Jingir, Uga, Usen, Fada, Kur, Tyogbenda-Mbajov, Anshav, Ashamena, Tomanyiin, Anvambe, Tomataan, Anvambe, Garagboghol, Ashibi, Diwa, Nyamatsor, Abakwa among others.
24. What is the Special Tribute of Gboko local government? ANS: Traditional Seat Of Tor Tiv And Tiv Traditional Headquarters
25. Mention just one Council Ward in Gboko local government. ANS. Mbakpegh council ward, Igyorov council ward, Mbatan council ward, Gboko-South council ward, Mbatser council ward, Mbakwen council ward, Gboko-North-West council ward, Mbaanku council ward, Mbadim council ward, Gboko-Central council ward, Yandev-South council ward, Yandev-Nouth council ward, Ukpekpe council ward, Mbatyu council ward, Mbadam council ward, Gboko-Eastcouncil ward, and Mbaaverakaa council ward
26. What is the headquarters of Guma Local government? ANS. Gbajimba
27. Gwer-East was created in 1976 by the then regime of General Murtala Mohammed, home to which people? ANS. The Masev people
28. On the 28th February, 1983, Konshisha Local Government was first created out of the former _____ ANS. Vandeikya Local Government Area of Benue State
29. Kwande Local Govt Area, was formerly known as a/an___________ANS. Intermediates area
30. Kwande local government area was created by D.O. J MacBridge, with the then headquarters at ANS. Manor.
31. Logo local government was created in December 1996 out of ___________Local Government Area. ANS. Katsina-Ala
32. Ukum local government was created in _________by Col. Fidelis A. ANS. September 1991
33. The People of Vandeikya local government people are the descendants of one great ancestor; ANS. Achira or Jechira.
34. Who is TER JEMGBAGH: ANS. CHIEF AFAKAA AJOKO
35. Who is TER SANKERA: ANS. CHIEF ABU SHULUWA
36. What are the LGA that constitute Jemgbagh? ANS. Tarka, Buruku, Gboko
37. What are the LGA that constitutes Minda? ANS.: Gwer West, Gwer East, Guma, Makurdi
38. Tiv society was completely egalitarian, without any central authority. They did not have kings. The compounds were administrated by _________ ANS. the oldest men.
39. What is the most beloved fabric of Tiv? ANS. black and white stripes
40. There are four methods of getting oneself a wife in Tiv land. Mention atleast two. ANS. Getting married by exchange, yamshe, kwase-ngohol, Getting married by purchase
41. Two men who want to have a wife meet and agree to exchange the women they already have. These may be each other’s daughters or each other’s current wives. This way of getting married is called_______ ANS. Yamshe
42. The British administration established a paramount chief in which year_______ANS. 1948
43. The Tiv’s complex system of exchange marriage was outlawed in 1927 and was replaced by marriage with _______ ANS. bridewealth.
44. The Dutch Reformed missionaries from South Africa entered Tivland in which year? _________ANS. 1911
45. The Dutch Reformed missionaries from South Africa were joined, and then succeeded, by U.S. Protestants in the 1940s and 1950s. Catholic missions arrived in the_______ year ANS. 1920s.
46. LATE HRH. JAMES AKPERAN ORSHI, OON, Tor Tiv (III) hailed from which LGA? ANS. The family of late Chief Kur Baka at Mbatie, Tombo, Buruku Local Government Area.
47. What is the nae of Tor tiv that was born on (19 September 1946 to 11 October 1956) at Mbayar, Nyumangbagh District in the present day Vandeikya Local Government Area of Benue State. ANS. LATE HRH. MAKIR DZAKPE, Tor Tiv (I)
48. What are the full names of the Tor Tiv (V)? ANS. HRH. PROF. JAMES ORTESE AYATSE, Tor Tiv (V)
49. Tiv live with other ethnic groups in Awe, Doma and Keana LGAs in ___________ State.ANS. Nasarawa
50. Large numbers of Tiv are indigenes of Langtang South, Quan’an Pam, Shendam and Wase LGAs in Plateau State. True or false?
51. The position of the Tiv in Nasarawa, like Taraba State is very clear; they have lived in these ancestral lands as far back as the __________ century ANS. 16th century.
52. In 1983 Mr. Solomon Ihuman represented the people of Awe, Keana and Doma Federal Constituency.. True or false? False it was Mr. Emmanuel Orshio
53. In 1926, Mr. Palmer the then governor of Northern Nigeria placed together all so called Pagan ethnic groups of the western and Muri province to form Kabba province. The remaining part of Munchi province was called _________ANS. Benue province
54. Katsina-Ala District was merged with Ibi District to form ___________under the traditional authority of the Aku Uka of Wukari. ANS. Wukari Division
55. It is common knowledge that Tiv had no Central Chief until which year? ANS. 1946
56. All Tiv lands west of Katsina Ala were placed under southern protectorates and administered from Ogoja and Obudu in present day Cross River State.True or false
57. The Tiv in Katsina-Ala District were placed under Tiv native authority in Gboko, segments of Tiv clans name them: ANS.Gaambe Tiev, Ukum and Shitile
58. Tomsule, Tembe Duen, Takera are Tiv (A) Tiv cultural festival (B) Tiv dances (C) Tiv carnivals (D) none of the above
59. : KYEGH SHA ISHWA (Chicken with Sesame) NYINYA (Umilin , IVOM (Amar or Genga) are Tiv (A) Tiv cultural festival (B) Tiv dances (C) Tiv carnivals (D) none of the above
60. Anwase-Abande Ranges is Located in which LGA? ANS. Kwande local government
61. Anwase-Abande Ranges: Located in Kwande local government area on Nigerian-Cameroon border and stretches adjoining the__________ANS. Obudu-Cameroon range
62. ___________ in Gboko: This is the official residence of the king of Tiv people. The palace is rich in historical artifacts about the Tiv people and their history. ANS. Tor Tiv Palace
63. Dr. Samuel Ioraernyi Ortom Place of Origin is. ANS. Nongov District, Guma Local Government Area
64. Dr. Gabriel Torwua Suswam, PhD was elected governor, benue state from: which period to which period? ANS. 29th may 2007 to 29th may 2015
65. Brigadier General Atom Kpera military governor of benue state from january 1984 to august 1985 He was born in Mbatyerev, in __________ LGA. ANS. Gboko local government of Benue state on3rd January, 1941. He attended Government College Katsina Ala (1956-61) for his secondary school education.
66. Name three LGAs in Sankera. ANS Logo, Ukum Katsina-Ala
67. Buruku was Created in 1989 out of the present________ LGA. ANS. Gboko Local Government Area
68. Buruku Local Government once existed in 1982, during the second republic (then, was called _________ LGA. ANS. Ambighir Local Government)
69. What are the Boundaries of Buruku Local Government? ANS. East: Logo and Katsina-Ala Local Government Area, West: Ushongo Local Government Area, North by Guma or Tarkaa Local Government Area, and South by Gboko Local government Area
70. Mention atleast two markets in Gboko LGA? ANS. Tse kucha, Tarukpe
71. Mention the Mineral Resources in Gboko. ANS Limestone
72. Name the industry in Gboko. ANS. Dangote Cement Plc
73. Tse-kucha is a main market in Yandev, Gboko LGA. True or False? False. It is in Mbayion
74. Why Different Market Days? ANS. It is because of different ideologies of settlement. For example: a district may try to restrict its indigenes from patronising a market in another district. To protect the interest of their communities. Example, revenue gotten from other markets are pulled to their own market, revenue like levies from local goods. More so, in each district there is one major market fixed in such a way that no feeder market will fall with it.
75. Why Many Markets In The Gboko? ANS. Gboko local government is a large local government area in Benue State with people spread all over the districts, therefore the markets are at different days to help transaction and congestion of people because you can not expect people to move their produce from Ikpa in Mbatierev to Ortese in Ipav to sell. As most market sell farm produce which are mainly bulky, the cost of transportation may be even more than the selling cost of the commodities.
76. Which town was for a time the headquarters of the Benue province (which was moved to Makurdi in 1927)? ANS. Abinsi
77. Tiv Division (moved to Gboko in which year? ANS. 1932
78. Gbajimba market, Daudu market, Agasha market, Abinsi market are market in which LGA? ANS. Guma
79. What is the Geographical Location of Gwer East LGA? ANS. The land is located southwest
80. Gwer East shares boundaries with seven other local government areas name atleast three LGA. ANS. West: Ityoshin people of Gwer-West Local Government Area; Mbakar people of Tarka Local Government Area, and Shangev-Tiev people of Konshisha Local Government Area. South: Igede people of Oju Local Government Area, Igede people Obi Local Government Area, Idoma people of Otukpo Local Government Areas. The area stretches from a line to a few miles of Makurdi Local Government Area and Abinsi to within five and six miles of Otukpo Local Government Area. It therefore embraces the present boundaries of Gwer East Local Government Area and Makurdi Local Government Area of Benue State.
81. Name one Prominent Geographical Features of Katsina-Ala LGA. ANS. River Katsina-Ala, The Harga Hills of Igneous Rock, River Yooyo, Loko, and Lake Akata.
82. Konshisha Local Government is named after River Konshisha which has its origin in which LGA? ANS. Gboko Local Government
83. Konshisha Local Government has created five 5 Development Area offices and are located at various places. Name atleast one Development Area. ANS. Yiav Development Area office – Gungul, Iwarev Development Area office – Korinya, Mbaaka Development Area office – Tongu, Diiv Development Area office – Manta, Mbavaa Development Area Office – Amua
84. Late Pa Ikyon Gungul, Ihumbe Adagi in Mbakpiam, Agala at Agbeede all in Konshisha were known for what? ANS. Kwagh-hir performance
85. In September, 1976, Kwande became one of the local governments created under the _____ regime. ANS. Military government of General Murtala Mohammed.
86. Ugba, Anyiin, Anyilamo, Abeda, and Zanzan are major towns in _______ ANS. Logo LGA
87. Makurdi commercial status was further enhanced when the Railway Bridge was completed and opened in which year? ANS. 1932.
88. Mention atleast two important establishments and offices located in the Southern part of Makurdi ANS. The Government House, The State Secretariat, The Federal Secretariat, Commercial Banks, Police Headquarters, Nigeria Prisons Service, Aper Aku Township Stadium, Nigeria Air force Base, Makurdi, The Makurdi Modern Market, The Federal Medical Centre, Nigeria Railway Station, Benue Printing and Publishing Company Limited, Radio Benue, Nigeria Television authority (NTA), Central Post Office, Benue Hotels, and Benue State University, BSU.
89. The Makurdi town is divided by the River Benue into the north and south banks, which are connected by two bridges: The Railway Bridge, which was built in 1932, and The New dual Carriage Bridge Commissioned in which year? ANS. 1978
90. Tarka Local Government Area was created on December 8th, 1996 by the _________administration vide a presidential proclamation. ANS. Late Gen. Sani Abacha
91. Tarka LGA was part of the present Gboko Local Government Area and administered as ______ ANS. Mbakor District.
92. The original inhabitants of Tarka Local Government Area are the _________ ANS. Mbakor of Tiv ethnic extraction.
93. Ukum LGA experiences two distinct seasons of__________ ANS. Raining and Dry season
94. Ukum Local Government is basically composed of Tiv people. It shares house of representative seat with ___________ ANS. Logo and Katsina-Ala local government areas and has a state house of Assembly seat.
95. Name atleast two Traditional Dances and Folks Songs. ANS. Ajo, Ange, Ishen, Atsar, Folk songs like: Obadia, Sarwuan, Pevikyaa Zegi
96. Aterayange, Mbatian, Borikyo, Uvan, Ituuluv, Lumbur, Mbazum, Tsaav, Mbayenge, Azendeshi, Kendav, and Ugbaan are markets in Ukum LGA. True or false? False they are Council Wards or Districts:
97. When Tiv people are done eating, they will thank you with the words______ ANS. “U yôô”.
98. A situation in the past were a tiv man will go to communities and start to perform traditional dances in the eyes of the chosen women and the women will naturally be attracted to the skilled dancers and go out to watch them. Such a way of capturing women’s hearts is called ________ ANS. lye.
99. An ancient tiv method of marrying where capturing another man’s wife while her husband is away is known as _______ ANS. kwase-ngohol.
Primary Reference Sources:
Abraham, R. C. (Capt.) Tiv People, Muri Province (Anthropological Office, Norhern Nigeria) National Archives Kaduna.
National Archives SNP 17/18 K4049 (B) Benue Province, Wukari Division.
Makar T. The History of Political Change among the Tiv in the 19th and 20th Century (Fourth Dimension Press) 1994.
Tseayo, J. I. Conflict and Incorporation in Nigeria (Gaskiya Corporation Zaria 1975).
David, T. (eds) Political Aspects of Tiv Social Organization in Tribe Wukari Rules, (London 1958).
Content created and supplied by: Martinswaves (via Opera News )