As Nigerians continue to debate on what transpired free days ago when David Ibiyiome of Salvation Ministries cursed Daddy Freeze an OAP presenter, while he was preaching, it is only needful to search the scriptures to verify their actions. Many have argued it was wrong for the Port Harcourt based preacher to exchange words and even go as far as laying curses on Freeze who have a history of attacking preachers due to their exorbitant lifestyles after milking the tithes of their congregation. Others have justified his actions. Many had not been able to fully grasp the implications of Ibiyiome's words before Paul Enenche of Dunamis joined his own words as he labelled Daddy Freeze a "mad dog". Let us search the scriptures to examine cases in the bible where things like this occurred.
21. And he drank of the wine and was drunken, and he was uncovered within his tent.
22. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brethren without.
23. And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backwards, and covered the nakedness of their father, and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
24. And Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
25. And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
26. And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem, and Canaan shall be his servant.
The first time a man cursed his fellow man in the bible was when Noah cursed Canaan, son of Ham due to the actions of his father. The bible explained that Ham saw his father's nakedness when he was drunk and the thing displeased Noah when he woke from his drunkenness, hence the curse. Some have argued, what really happened was that Ham slept with his father's wife and the result was Canaan. Whichever one, the fact was that Noah felt grieved, hence his reason for cursing the son of Ham, Canaan. It is needless to start explaining the implications of Noah's curse on Canaan. We all saw how God took possession of Canaan and gave to the children of Israel.
Jacob (Israel) Cursed Rueben
And it came to pass, when Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and Israel heard it...
3. Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
4. Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father's bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch.
Rueben was cursed by his father for the fact he slept with his father's concubine Bilhah. Bilhah was Rachel's handmaid which she gave to Jacob her husband to conceive since she noticed she wasn't bringing forth any child at the time. This brought forth Dan and Naphtali. After the death of Rachel her mistress, it seems she became vulnerable and Reuben took advantage of the situation to go into her. Jacob heard it but didn't do anything until at his point of death when he laid a curse on him. This made the tribe of Rueben to be the most feeble tribe in Israel. It took the intervention of Moses the servant of God for things to change in the book of Deuteronomy 33:6, "Let Reuben live, and not die; and let not his men be few".
Joshua Cursed Jericho
And Joshua adjured them at that time, saying, Cursed be the man before the LORD, that riseth up and buildeth this city Jericho: he shall lay the foundation thereof in his firstborn, and in his youngest son shall he set up the gates of it.
1 Kings 16:34
In his days did Hiel the Bethelite build Jericho: he laid the foundation thereof in Abiram his firstborn, and set up the gates thereof in his youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Joshua the son of Nun.
Jericho was an incredibly strong city and its strength was in the walls. It took the extraordinary intervention of God for the city to be brought down. Despite the victory God gave to Israel, Joshua never wanted to face any city with such strength again, so he laid a curse on anyone who will rise up to build the city again. God honoured the curse as Hiel the Bethelite paid the price for rebuilding the city.
David Cursed Michal His Wife
2 Samuel 6:16
And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.
2 Samuel 6:20-23
20. Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!
21. And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD.
22. And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.
23. Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.
David also laid a curse on his wife who despised him for the way he conducted himself as the ark of God was brought into the City of David. He had just blessed Israel and was in a joyous mood going home. He was supposed to bless his own house but things changed when he was confronted with his wife Michal who wasn't pleased how he danced that day. David didn't directly lay a curse on his wife but his words were taken by God who shut Michal's womb from that day onwards.
Elisha Cursed Little Children
2 Kings 2:23-24
23. And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up, by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up thou bald head.
24. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
One of the most dramatic incidents in the bible was this case when Elisha cursed little children and God honoured his words. It happened almost instantaneously and it was out of anger. If Elisha gets another chance, I am sure he will refrain from laying curses on little children. This was the only thing that tarnished his reputation as Christians up to date find it hard to accept what he did. Others use it as a yardstick to curse people who lay abuses on them. However remember, those children who were cursed could have been your kids as well. The bible said foolishness abounds in the heart of a child and it takes the rod of discipline to drive it away. Elisha would have none of that as he immediately cursed the children which led to lions devouring them to pieces.
Lessons To Learn
Men of God shouldn't play with curses they lay on people. Yes, this was done in the bible by prophets of old, it will also behove you to know that the Lord Jesus Christ never laid a curse on any man despite the contradictions he suffered. His disciple who tried to defend him when he was about to be arrested was scolded for doing so. The only thing Christ cursed was a tree which refused to bear fruits. Likewise, anyone who refuses to bear fruits of righteousness, peace, joy, love, meekness, gentleness, etc., would automatically be cursed. Jesus Christ was crucified by the very people he came to save. He died an innocent man but never laid a curse on them. His words rather were, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". What people even think was cursing was more or less prophetic. He did tell the women who wept for him to weep for themselves for the coming doom on Jerusalem. He did pronounce woe on the Scribes and Pharisees, but it was more or less prophetic than cursing. Let men of God refrain from using every power at their disposal.
Kindly drop your comments, like, follow and share.
Content created and supplied by: SearchtheScriptures (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More