Sign in
Download Opera News App



What is the English word for the sound of water being churned just like water coming out of a pipe into a river?

Splash is the most accurate word. There is also sploosh, which is the sound of long stream of water (like falling out of pipe) striking calmer water. A related word is splosh. What we’re going for here a closer vowel sound approximation of the water disturbance.

Slosh, burble, gurgle and gargle are other water words that attempt to represent sounds. If you’re trying to find the sound of water pouring into other water without making much of a splashy sound, burble is a good one. It evokes bubbles being created instead of white-water splashing.

If you want your pipe-stream cutting into the smoo...

Content created and supplied by: (via Opera News )

English Splash


Load app to read more comments