Whenever we have something to say, we use words. There are thousands of words in the English Language. Each of them performs a particular function. In fact, words are classified into eight classes based on the work they do. To speak and write effectively, you must first master the parts of speech. Let us now look at each of them.
1. Nouns :Nouns are naming words. They are the names of people, animals, places or things.
2. Pronouns : Pronouns are used to replace nouns. In fact, pronouns are words that are used in place of nouns.
Examples : he, I, she, you, me, we, us, them, it.
3. Verbs : Verbs are action words. They tell us what a person or something does in a sentence.
Examples : eat, pray, sing, shout, read, talk, etc
4. Adjectives : Adjectives are describing words. They are used to describe nouns and pronouns.
Examples : kind, fat, sweet, bitter, tall, short
5. Adverbs : These are describing words, too. They qualify verbs, adjectives or other adverbs in a sentence.
Examples : slowly, quickly, happily, fast, hard, well, etc
6. Conjunctions : These are joining words. They are used to join letters, words, phrases or clauses.
Examples : but, and, or, nor, because, etc
7. Prepositions : These are words that show the relationship between one person and another or between one thing and another.
Examples : in, at, from, within, among, about, etc
8. Interjections: These are words that express sudden feelings of pain, joy, anger, etc. They usually end with an interjection mark (!).
Examples : Oh!, Ah!, Hello!, Hurrah!, etc.
Content created and supplied by: Fridaymbamprince (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More