Speaking about pretense, some of us at one point in time in our lives have exhibited some signs of pretence; even if it is for a little while. Now don’t get me wrong – what I mean is that at one point in time in our life, we may have pretended just for the sake of being polite. Maybe by laughing at a friend’s dry joke in order not to make them feel bad, or pretending to be happy even when we are sad in order to just avoid some unnecessary questions, or pretending to be interested in a boring story someone is telling you, or pretending to be asleep in order to avoid a certain company etc. Well, that is not the kind of pretense I’ll be discussing here today.
It is imperative for us to know what type of pretense I’m discussing. The type I’m talking about is the type that is related to ones way of life. It is that type that has made one to live a fake, false, deceptive and a hypocritical life. Yeah, no one is perfect but it's better to be you, rather than pretending to be who you are not just so you can garner people’s love. Making sacrifices to foster relationships is good, as in very good, but when it comes to you trimming yourself to become who you are not, then it’s bad. When it also comes to you living a life that is alien to you just to belong, then it’s quite sad. Unfortunately, not many people know that pretending to be what you are not has the following repercussions:
1. You loose your respect: This is the first reaction you get from people immediately they begin to sense that you are a pretender. Your respect and self worth starts to diminish.
2. People loose trust in you: Trust takes years to build, and only but a minute to be destroyed. When your pretentious life is discovered, the trust people already had for you will vanish; and we all know what that means.
3. You suffer in silence: this is because you are trying to present yourself as a saint, forgetting you are a human, a human with feelings that are valid. You tend to endure and swallow whatever rubbish that is being dumped on you because you want to please everybody. On the other hand, if your are pretending to be wealthy while you are nothing, people that are meant to help you attain a greater height in life will see you and ignore you because they feel you have made it already, even when you can barely survive.
4. People will never take you serious: yeah, once the trust has been broken and the respect lost, all because you wanted to please people, the same people you wanted to please will stop taking anything from you to be serious.
5. Your true identity suffers: Life now becomes difficult as you are finding it hard to adjust to the ‘new life’ you now have. You’ve lost your identity, an identity you shouldn’t have joked with in the first place. Trust me, getting this back will be very difficult and nearly impossible.
In conclusion, whenever you pretend to be someone you are not, you are simply trying to fit in with the wrong people. Be yourself always, be proud of what you have achieved so far in life as long as it’s descent. Acknowledge the fact that you can never please everybody no matter how hard you try. I hope this has been instructional for you. I still remain yours Austar16. Please click on the follow button for more updates. You can also like, comment and share my posts. Thanks.
Content created and supplied by: Austar16 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More