5 Killed In Ondo Crash And Robbery Attack
No fewer than five persons lost their lives in Ondo State on Sunday in two separate incidents of a robbery attack and a road crash.
According to an eyewitness, the accident occurred around 7am on Sunday as the vehicle was heading towards Akure, the state capital, when the crash happened.
The eyewitness said the driver of the vehicle lost control and swerved off the road into the bush.
He said those who sustained injuries in the accident had been rushed to a nearby hospital while the remains of the dead had been deposited at the morgue of the hospital.
Similarly, two security guards of Rano Filling Station, along Akure-Ondo Expressway, Akure, were killed by suspected armed robbers at the early hours of Sunday.
It was gathered that the workers of the petrol station who resumed for work on Sunday, found the lifeless body of the two guards in a pool of blood.
Ohanaeze Backs S’East Govs On Security Outfit
The South-East governors on Sunday said they would set up a joint security vigilante, Ebube Agu, for the zone.
The governors stated this in a communiqué issued after the first South-East security summit they held with all the heads of security agencies in Owerri, the Imo State capital.
The communiqué read by the Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, stated, “ The meeting resolved to maintain a joint security vigilante for the South- East otherwise known as Ebubeagu. The meeting appreciated the formation of South-East joint security outfit code- named Ebubeagu with headquarters in Enugu to coordinate our vigilantes in the South-East.”
The Ohanaeze in its reaction said it supported the setting up of the security outfit, which it described as long overdue.
The South-East governors, in their communiqué, also condemn terrorism and banditry in any part of Nigeria, particularly in the South- East.
They strongly criticised “the burning of police stations, violent attacks on custodial centres with the unlawful release of inmates, and the killings including security personnel, natives/ farmers and headsmen.”
According to them, the five South-East states are “on the same page with the Federal Government on the issue of security challenges in the country.”
774,000 Public Jobs Workers Protest Unpaid N20,000 Wage
Participants in the Federal Government’s Special Public Works (SPW) programme are protesting the delay in paying their stipend more than three months after kick off.
The SPW is an adhoc programme designed by the government to provide stop-gap three months jobs to mainly artisans to ean N20,000 monthly doing public works.
One thousand youths were hired from each of the 774 local government in the country as beneficiaries, bringing the figure to 774,000 councils.
The programme was inaugurated on January 5. The first batch of beneficiaries have completed their assignment without being paid.
Content created and supplied by: AkwaOnline (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More