Hardly had the World Cup winning star's body settle in his grave following his burial on Thursday that prosecutors ordered a raid of Dr Leopoldo Luque's clinic and home in Buenos Aires, trying to establish if his negligence caused Maradona's sudden death of a massive heart attack on Wednesday.
About 50 policemen alleged to have been involved in the combined home-and-office search were said to have carted away documents, computers and phones trying to unearth evidence that could nail Dr Luque who performed a brain surgery on the former Argentine captain early in November.
The prosecutors are angry that Maradona might have been saved from an untimely death had certain standard precautions were taken while he convalesced at home after the surgery.
According to reports, the football maestro's recovery was left in the hands of a single nurse and his nephew when it should have been manned by a team of nurses "specialised in substance abuse", a defribillator for emergency heart resuscitation in case of relapse, and a stand-by ambulance.
But under-pressure Dr Luque was in no mood to condone what he described as the excesses of the police when he fought back gamely in a widely circulated interview on Sunday. He told reporters amidst tears that it wasn't his job to make the arrangements for the late star's convalescence after he finished his job of operating to remove a blood clot in his brain.
"If you ask me, I'm a neurosurgeon and my job ended," apparently referring to the surgery.
"I was done with him. He (Maradona) should have gone to a rehabilitation centre. He didn't want to," he added.
The doctor who had earlier been criticised for posting on Instagram, a photo of him and Maradona after the surgery also aired his frustrations about talk in certain quarters that he left Maradona to his own devices by not doing a follow-up on his health after his discharge from the clinic.
"You want to know what am responsible for? For having loved him, for having taken care of him, for having extended his life, for having improved it till the end?" adding, "I did everything I could up to the impossible!"
Content created and supplied by: HenryOkoduwa2012 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More