The ongoing Panel of Enquiry on Police Brutality and Other Matters in Ondo state is currently experiencing setbacks on petitions against police officers as none of the alleged officers have appeared before the panel since the beginning of sittings.
The fact finding panel received 32 petitions before commencing sittings, 15 of which are against security personnel.
Speaking with The Reporter on the development, Chairman of the panel, Justice Adesola Sidiq (Rtd) saidd that necessary documents had been served on the State Commissioner of Police to ensure the accused officers are present during proceedings in order to give every party fair hearing.
He said further that the panel would continue to mount pressure on the police force to make the accused present during hearing.
Justice Sidiq expressed confidence that the Nigerian Police would make available the accused officers before the panel, adding that a warrant of arrest would be issued on any officers who refused to appear before the panel after being summoned.
The Station Officer of the disbanded Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), Ondo state, Mr Silvanus Arobo was present at the panel yesterday.
Arobo told the panel that he came to get details of officers accused of various crimes in order to trace their records and summon them to appear before the panel.
He however disclosed that some of the officers of the defunct SARS had either been transferred to other states or dismissed.
He noted that efforts would be put in motion to ensure those who were still alive are made to appear before the panel.
In view of the absence of the accused officers, cases involving police brutality were adjourned till late January 2021 to give room for the officers accused to be summoned before the panel.
Meanwhile, the panel visited the vandalised campaign office of Mr. Olayide Adelami on Wednesday, Matmos Nigeria Limited and Ondo Coalition 2020 offices yesterday to ascertain the damage done to their property by hoodlums during the EndSARS protests.
The case on the petition submitted by Coalition 2020 was concluded after the panel visited the damaged property along Oyemekun road, Akure while that of Matmos Nigeria Limited was adjourned till January 21, 2021 for hearing.
Ondo Coalition 2020 had submitted a petition for compensation on vandalised office and stolen items.
The Secretary of the group, Sikiru Adetona Sule told the panel that over N400,000 was also stolen by the hoodlums.
Justice Sidiq said that the recommendations of the panel would be contained in its final report to be submitted to Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu.
Content created and supplied by: iyiolablessing (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More