England's next two home matches have been ordered to be played without fans, with the second being suspended for a two-year probationary term.
There will be no fans for England's first game of the 2022-23 Nations League season as a result of UEFA's decision, and the FA has been fined €100,000 (£85k/$116k) as part of the punishment.
What exactly was said?
"Following an investigation conducted by a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector regarding the incidents that occurred during the UEFA EURO 2020 final match between the national teams of Italy and England played on 11 July 2021 at Wembley Stadium, London, and the subsequent disciplinary proceedings opened against the English Football Association, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has today taken the following actions," according to a statement released by UEFA on Monday.
"To order the English Football Association to play its next two (2) UEFA tournament matches as host association behind closed doors, the second of which is suspended for two (2) years from the date of the present decision, for a lack of order and discipline inside and around the stadium."
"To punish the English Football Association €100,000 for a lack of order and discipline within and outside the stadium, for invading the playing field, throwing items, and causing disturbances during national anthems."
What went wrong?
There were many incidences of crowd disturbance at Wembley Stadium ahead of England's Euro 2020 final against Italy in July.
Despite the fact that Wembley's capacity had been decreased owing to coronavirus restrictions, ticketless fans descended on the stadium in the days preceding up to the event, causing considerable disturbance before and after the game.
UEFA charged England with four violations of the body's rules shortly after.
The FA issued a statement at the time, calling the acts "completely unacceptable" and the individuals involved "an embarrassment to the England team."
"There was a breach of security and a small group of people got into the stadium," a Wembley official said on the day.
"We're working closely with stadium stewards and security to get these folks out of the stadium." Anyone who enters the stadium without a ticket will be expelled immediately."
During the operation, 19 police officers were injured, and 49 people were arrested.
Content created and supplied by: Dwanemw (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More