Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Sports

 

Tennis

 

Osaka withdraws from Indian Wells

Four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the rescheduled Indian Wells ATP / WTA tournament next month in California, organizers confirmed on Wednesday.

The 23-year-old Japanese star is a former Indian Wells champion, winning the title in 2018 with a victory over Daria Kasatkina.

Osaka said earlier this month that she plans to take an indefinite hiatus from tennis after an upset early exit from the US Open.

“Honestly, I don't know when I'm going to play my next tennis match,” Osaka said after losing in the third round to Canadian teenager Leylah Fernandez.

"I think I'll take a break from playing for a while."

Osaka, who dropped out of the top five in the last world rankings, has been in the spotlight this year after pulling out of Roland Garros and skipping Wimbledon over mental health issues.

Osaka said his problems were exacerbated by speaking to the media after the games.

Osaka also made an early exit from Cincinnati last month and pulled out of the Tokyo Olympics in the early rounds in July.

Content created and supplied by: Ademilade (via Opera News )

California Daria Kasatkina Grand Slam Indian Wells Naomi Osaka

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments