Lionel Messi is one of the most celebrated soccer players of all time, known for his incredible feats on the pitch. The Argentinian forward has been dominating the sport for over a decade, setting numerous records throughout his career. Here are 11 mind-blowing records held by Lionel Messi, which prove his greatness:
1. Most Ballon d'Or awards won: Messi has won the Ballon d'Or award a record seven times - in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, and 2021. This is the most by any soccer player in history.
2. Most goals scored in a calendar year: Messi broke Gerd Muller's record of 85 goals in a calendar year by scoring an unbelievable 91 goals in 2012. This record still stands today.
3. Most La Liga goals scored: Messi holds the record for the most goals scored in La Liga, Spain's top-flight soccer league, with 474 goals. He also holds the record for the most hat-tricks in La Liga with 36.
4. Most goals scored in a single La Liga season: In the 2011-2012 season, Messi scored an incredible 50 goals in just 37 league games, which is a record that still stands today.
5. Most goals scored in El Clasico: Messi has scored 26 goals in El Clasico matches (matches between Barcelona and their fierce rivals, Real Madrid), which is the most by any player in the history of the fixture.
6. Most assists in La Liga: Messi has not just been a great scorer, but also a fantastic provider. He holds the record for the most assists in La Liga with 192.
7. Most hat-tricks in a single La Liga season: Messi scored eight hat-tricks in the 2011-2012 La Liga season, which is the most by any player in a single season.
8. Youngest player to score 200 La Liga goals: Messi achieved this milestone at just 25 years and 217 days, which is a testament to his incredible talent and prowess on the field.
9. Most consecutive La Liga matches scored in: Between November 2012 and May 2013, Messi scored in 21 consecutive La Liga matches, which is the longest scoring streak in the history of the league.
10. Most goals scored in a single European club season: In the 2011-2012 season, Messi scored 73 goals for Barcelona across all competitions, which is a record for a European club season.
11. Most goals scored in UEFA Champions League history: Messi holds the record for the most goals scored in UEFA Champions League history with 135 goals as of 2021.
Lionel Messi's records speak for themselves, and he has proven himself to be one of the greatest soccer players of all time. He is a true inspiration for aspiring soccer players worldwide, and his achievements will continue to inspire future generations of players for many years to come.
Content created and supplied by: Quality-Entertainment (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More