Last week, France Football released the official 30 men shortlist for the 2021 Ballon D'or including names like Harry Kane, Luka Modric, Mason Mount etc... One name that was missing from the list which shouldn't have in my opinion, is Barcelona's striker Memphis Depay who had an exceptional year, but was snubbed from the list, which till now is surprising to many, considering the likes of Mahrez, Simon Kjaer made the shortlist.
Depay was in Lyon colours for the entire of last season, where he displayed some quality football that caught the eyes of Europe's finest (Top club's), before moving to Barcelona on a free Transfer.
Depay Stats for Lyon:
- 37 games
- 20 goals
- 12 assists
- 32 goals+assists
Depay at Euro 2020:
- 4 games
- 2 goals
- 1 assist
Depay for Netherlands in World Cup Qualifiers:
- 8 games
- 9 goals
- 6 assists
Depay for Barcelona:
- 9 games
- 3 goals
- 1 assists
- 58 games
- 34 goals
- 22 assists
- 54 goals and assists in 58 games (average of 0.9 goal contribution per game).
- Ligue 1 Team of the Season
- Top Scorer at European World Cup Qualifiers (9 goals)
- Top Assist provider at European World Cup Qualifiers (8 assists).
- According to Whoscored, There has been 10 perfect match ratings at the European World Cup Qualifiers, Memphis Depay has been responsible for 4.
- Depay is the highest rated Player at the European World Cup Qualifiers (8.9)
- Memphis Depay has taken 48 shots and created 45 chances during 2022 World Cup qualifying, accounting for a total of 93 shot involvements - 43 more than the next best European player. He is averaging one shot involvement every eight minutes (11.6 per 90).
- Memphis Depay has scored 13 goals for the national team in 2021, a record for a Dutch player in the same calendar year between all competitions.
Most goal contributions in 2021:
-Robert Lewandowski: 58
-Lionel Messi: 52
-Memphis Depay: 49
Memphis Depay has 49 G/A in 2021. Only Lewandowski, Messi, have more. But he’s not in the top 30 nominees for Ballon d’Or.
Memphis not making the 30 men shortlist was the biggest mistake by France Football this year. For the fact that he didn't win any Trophy all year, shouldn't be the reason why he would miss out on the list, besides the Ballon D'or is an individual award, not a Collective.
Content created and supplied by: Iamzeeboi (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More