Sign in
Download Opera News App

Sports

 

Soccer

 

Serie A

"Irresponsible" Italy's Sports Minister accused Serie A decision to play on ignoring coronavirus

Italian Minister for Sports has accused Serie A of being "irresponsible" for ignoring his calls for football to be suspended because of coronavirus.

It "makes no sense" for football to continue after up to 16 million people were placed in quarantine in Italy, Vincenzo Spadafora said earlier.

But nevertheless Sunday's top-flight games went ahead as planned, albeit behind closed doors.

Spadafora said "The world of football feels immune to rules and sacrifices," .

Speaking to state broadcaster RAI, he added: "Today, games have been played because of an irresponsible act of the Serie A league and its president Paolo dal Pino.

Last week, Italy's government said all sport in the country would be played behind closed doors until 3 April, but the increased restrictions announced in the early hours of Sunday prompted Spadafora's call for the league to be suspended with immediate effect - We are advising Italians to stay at home.

Four other Serie A matches also went ahead behind closed doors on Sunday, including Juventus against Inter Milan, while Sassuolo's match against Brescia on Monday.

On Tuesday The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) is to hold a meeting.

It was officials said on Sunday that the number of people to have died from the coronavirus in Italy has reached 366, an increase of 133 in a day.

The total number of infections in the country leap 25% to 7,375 from 5,883, according to the Civil Protection Agency.

Content created and supplied by: Emmanuel.k (via Opera News )

Italian Italy Paolo dal Pino Serie A Vincenzo Spadafora

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments