If football is above all a team sport, there are still many awards that highlight individual performance. the most prestigious of them remains the Golden ball or the Ballon d'Or
Initially, this annual award created by the magazine France Football rewards only the best European player who plays in a European club, which explains the absence of big names in the list, in the first rank of which we should find Pelé (who received a ball of honor in 2014). Gradually, the rules was changed to reward all players in the world.
Here are top 10 players who won highest Ballon d'Or
10. Ronaldo - Brazil - 2 Golden Balls in 1997 and 2002
9. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge - Germany - 2 golden balloons in 1980 and 1981
7. Franz Beckenbauer - Germany - 2 golden balloons in 1972 and 1976
6. Alfredo Di Stéfano - Argentina then Spain - 2 golden balloons in 1957 and 1959
5. Marco van Basten - Netherlands - 3 golden balloons in 1988, 1989 and 1992
4. Johan Cruyff - Netherlands - 3 Golden Balls in 1971, 1973 and 1974 (1 time third)
3. Michel Platini - France - 3 golden ball in 1983, 1984 and 1985 (twice third)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo - Portugal - 5 Golden Ball in 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017 (5 times second)
1. Lionel Messi - Argentina - 6 golden ball in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2019 (6 times second)
Lionel Messi obtains a 6th Golden Ball 10 years after his first award. He overtakes Cristiano Ronaldo and therefore takes first place on his own.
Content created and supplied by: Muhaliyu (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More