Since the appointment of Thomas Tuchel as manager, Chelsea football club have experienced a drastic upturn in form and fortunes. As well as coming back into the top four race, the Blues have now secured a place in the last four of the UEFA Champions League. They went one better in the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday, as they beat Manchester City 1-0 in the semifinals to qualify for the final.
With these successes, Blues fans are daring to dream that they can lift the FA Cup and the Champions League. And they have every reason to believe so - apart from the form of the team, history seems to favour the London giants. The last time Chelsea won the FA/UCL cup double was back in 2012 under Roberto Di Matteo. And as Chelsea seemingly edge closer to dual cup success, there are several facts and instances from 2012 which seems to be repeating itself in 2021. Without wasting further time, let's take a look at amazing facts which shows that history favors Chelsea to win the double this year:
• In 2012, Chelsea's first choice goalkeeper was Petr Cech. He was 29 years old at the time, and his previous club was Stade Rennes. Fast forward to 2021; Chelsea's first choice goalie is Edouard Mendy. He is 29 years old, and his former club was Stade Rennes.
• In 2012, the Spanish Copa Del Rey final was between Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao. In 2021, the Copa Del Rey final was between Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao.
• Still with Barca, Lionel Messi missed a penalty in the 2012 UCL knockout stages. He missed a penalty in the knockout stages this year.
• In October 2011/12, Manchester United lost a game 6-1 and had a man sent off. In October 2020/21, Manchester United lost to Tottenham 6-1 and had a man sent off.
• The last time Chelsea played against Guardiola in a semifinal, they went on to win the double (FA and UCL). Chelsea just beat Guardiola yesterday.
• Chelsea's captain in 2012, John Terry, was 31 years old at the time. Chelsea's captain in 2021 is Cesar Azpilicueta, and he's 31 years old.
• Terry, Chelsea's most senior and important Centre back missed the round of 16 in 2012 due to injury. In 2021, Thiago Silva, Chelsea's most senior and important CB, missed the round of 16 due to injury.
• In 2011/12, Drogba scored 6 UCL goals ( 2 with the head, three with the left and one with the right), and he was 34 years old. In 2020/21, Olivier Giroud has scored 6 UCL goals (2 with the head, three with the left and one with the right). He's 34 years old.
• The last time Chelsea conceded five goals at Stamford Bridge AND also lost to West From was in 2011/2012. In 2020/21, Chelsea have conceded five goals at Stamford Bridge and have lost to West Brom.
• After 14 games, Di Matteo had a win rate of 71.4% in 2012. After 14 games in 2021, Tuchel had a win rate of 71.4%. Both managers were employed at the middle of the season.
• Chelsea's Champions League winning manager (Di Matteo) was born on the 29th of May. Tuchel's birthday is on the 29th. The UCL final is also on the 29th of May.
• In 2011/12, Chelsea beat a Portuguese team in the quarterfinals and a Spanish team in the semifinals. In 2020/21, Chelsea beat a Portuguese team in the QF, and will face a Spanish side in the SF.
• In their second league fixture against Tottenham in 2011/12, Man United won 3-1. In their second league fixture against Tottenham in 2020/21, Man United won 3-1.
• In 2017, Chelsea lost the FA Cup final 2-1 to Arsenal, but they won the cup the following season. In 2020, Chelsea lost the FA Cup final 2-1 to Arsenal. They're in the final in 2021.
Wow. Simply, wow. Talk about Déjà Vu. With so many cases of history repeating itself, surely Chelsea will win the double this year.
Content created and supplied by: ThaRealMolos (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More