Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Sports

 

Tennis

 

Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Wimbledon, Targets Olympics.

Naomi Osaka of Japan has withdrawn from Wimbledon, her agent confirmed this on Thursday weeks after the world number two pulled out of the French Open citing her struggle with depression and anxiety.

Her agent Stuart Duguid said that Naomi will not be playing Wimbledon this year, he said this in an email to AFP. He said that she is taking some personal time with her friends and family. "She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans", he said.

Wimbledon organisers said on Wednesday that the 23-year-old four-time Grand Slam champion was expected to take part in the championships, which starts on June 28. All England Club chief executive Sally Bolton said "at this point in time she has entered into the championships and we haven't received confirmation that she won't compete.

Since withdrawing from the French Open, Osaka has been in the spotlight. She was fined $15,000 and threatened with disqualification from Roland Garros after she refused to honour mandatory media commitments.

According to the French Open organisers, they said that they had treated with " care and respect" after they were accused of being heavy-handed. In the year 2017 and 2018, Osaka lost in the third round of the Wimbledon and bowed out in the first round in 2019. Due to coronavirus, last year's tournament was cancelled.

Two-time Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal earlier this Thursday, also announced he would be skipping this year's tournament as well as the Olympics in order to prolong his career.

Content created and supplied by: NwakajiMartins_01 (via Opera News )

French Open Olympics Sally Bolton Stuart Duguid Wimbledon

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments