Liverpool superstar Mohamed Salah has started the 2021/22 campaign like a house on fire. He became the highest African goalscorer in the Premier League with his hat-trick against Manchester United on Sunday night. In the new season, the 29-year-old has 15 goals in 12 appearances in all competitions.
Salah's contribution to Liverpool is undoubted, but his future remains uncertain due to his contract situation. Last week, the Egyptian stated that he would like to end his career at Anfield, but negotiations for a new contract have stalled.
According to recent reports, the former Chelsea attacker is looking for a contract extension for £500,000 per week.
With his current deal set to expire in 2023 and the forward turning 30 in less than a year, the Reds could be reluctant to pay such exorbitant wages, fuelling speculation.
Amidst this, Catalan publication El Nacional has claimed that Liverpool gaffer, Jurgen Klopp has made peace with the possibility that he might lose the Egypt international forward next year in case a new deal is no reachedAccording to the report, the Merseysiders are preparing to bring in a new generation of stars to replace some of their aging players.
If Liverpool decides to split ways with Salah, Antony of AFC Ajax and Karim Adeyemi of RB Leipzig are two forwards on their radar. The Egyptian has emerged as a target for La Liga heavyweights Barcelona and Real Madrid, who have both been interested in him for some time.
According to the report, Klopp has advised Salah to choose Barcelona over Real Madrid, This is because the 29-year-old would be the main man at Camp Nou, but at the Bernabeu, he would have to battle for spotlight with the likes of Karim Benzema and maybe Kylian Mbappe.
In the case that an extension with Liverpool cannot be agreed, the player's camp is also said to prefer Barcelona. As things stand, everything is just speculation, especially as Salah has said that he wants to stay with the Merseysiders. However, if a new contract is not signed, a departure may become a real possibility.
Content created and supplied by: Charlesayor (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More