According to Pew Research, an estimated 28% of all time online is spent on social networking. The remaining 72% is said to be spent on online browsing, watching videos and online gaming. On average, one adult spends 28 hours a week on the internet. That is approximately 4 hours a day, every day. That number is forecast to double by 2025, as more people get online.
In most cases, internet is a positive way to reinforce communications and connections. However, several studies found that too much time spent online comparing yourself to other people can affect your mental health. In the following sections we look at 5 ways you didn't know internet changes your perception.
Laziness: A recent study suggests that spending more time on the internet makes us lazier. About 45% of the global population with internet access reported "mechanical feelings" while surfing online.
Body Image: According to a 2014 survey on body image, about 30% of the respondents aged between 11 and 18 felt their bodies were too fat compared to the Instagram models they were following.
Sexual Behavior: Every second over 28 thousand users are watching pornography on the internet and according to psychologists; internet pornography affects our sexual behavior offline.
Materialism: Recent research suggests that social media glorifies materialistic behaviors. In a recent poll, majority of respondents said they wish they were rich so that they could "show off" their money and their possessions on Instagram.
Content created and supplied by: Update. (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More