Though WhatsApp chats are already encrypted, this means that it's only the sender and the receiver who have access to the chats, this new feature ensures the chats remain encrypted even when backed up on cloud servers, the internet messaging app company said.
Mark took to his Facebook to post saying:
End-to-end encrypted backups for WhatsApp starting to roll out today. Proud of the team for continuing to lead on security for your private conversations. The new feature improves WhatsApp's security and ensures users privacy, conversations, video calls, and voice calls are secured.
Here are 5 things about the new end-to-end encryption feature.
1. The new end-to-end encryption took effect on Thursday, October, 14
2. It provides an extra security layer to back up your chats when you lose your phones
3. The backed-up chats will be securely stored on Google Drive (Android users) or iCloud (iPhone users) with end-to-end encryption.
4. You can secure your end-to-end encrypted backup with either a password of your choice or a 64-digit encryption key that only you know.
5. WhatsApp and your backup service provider ( Google Drive, iCloud, etc.) cannot read your backups or access the key to unlock the chats The new feature will be rolled out slowly to those with the latest version of WhatsApp.
Content created and supplied by: Naplibs (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More