Sometimes we mistakenly use extra words to confuse readers, when you can say these things in a simple way. It is not necessary for one to use extra words to pump in more sense to something he is trying to say.
So to avoid using extra words to confuse your reader, you have to learn when you are using Pleonasm or Tautology. Pleonasm can be said to be a word that adds nothing extra to a sentence, while Tautology is a word that merely repeats the meaning of another word in a sentence. Thus, these words can be regarded as redundant words.
1. Stop saying "The cartoons are Few in number" rather say "The cartoons are few". Few can be referred to as something that is small in number, therefore adding "in number" is pleonasm.
2. Do not say "I want to collect money from the ATM machine" rather say "I want to collect Money from the ATM". This is because ATM means Automated Teller Machine, so adding machine at the end is Tautology. It is not relevant.
3. Stop saying "This news is a Current Trend" rather say "This news is current" or This news is trendy". This is because Every thing that is current is regarded as a trending thing. So adding current to trend is just Tautology. It is not necessary at all.
4. Don't say "She gave me a Free gifts" this is wrong rather say "She gave me a gift" because We all know that something that is regarded as a gift is free, it is not paid for. So adding Free is not necessary.
5. Stop saying "The news came out to the General public" rather say "The news came out to the public". Any thing that becomes public is general, it is no longer private. So it is Tautology to say General public because they mean the same thing.
6. It is not correct to say "The gas will Circulate around the room" rather say "The gas will Circulate". We all know that a circle is round. Circulate means something that is going around. So it is improper to say circulate around, this is Pleonasm.
7. Stop saying "There is an Empty Space here" rather say "There is a space here" or "This place is empty". A place that is empty can also be said to be a place that has space. This means that both empty and space means the same thing, so it is not proper to put them together.
8. It is improper to say "The clothes are of Different kinds" rather say "The clothes are different". This is one of the common examples of Pleonasm. This is because things kinds and different means also the same thing.
This is all I have for you today, if you any of your own examples drop it in the comment section. Thanks
Content created and supplied by: EruditeTutor (via Opera News )