The first storey building in Nigeria is located in Badagry, Lagos State. The foundation of the building was laid in 1842 and the house was completed in 1845. History has it that the ancient structure was erected by Reverend Henry Townsend of the Church Missionary Society (CMS).
Still standing completely strong after 171 years, this building has historical significance in the history of the slave trade and colonialism. It is close to the excellent recreational amenities of Badagry.
History also has it that it was a place where returnee slaves lodged. Samuel Ajayi Crowther, a returnee slave lived in one of the rooms of the building. From the outside, the building looks old and frail but the wooden staircase looks as strong as ever.
The white one-storey building has four stores, six rooms, two sitting rooms, a safe and it overlooks the marina waterfront. In the upper floor of the building, there is a glass containing the English and Yoruba versions of the Bible that was translated by Bishop Ajayi Crowther.
Don't forget to comment
Content created and supplied by: Ayeshatudanbello1 (via Opera News )