Just like other parts of the world, Nigeria is endowed with many fascinating tourist destinations. One of the most outstanding of them all is the Ogbunike caves located situated within Ogbunike in Oyi Locaal Government Area.
It served as safety, refuge and shelter for during pre colonial years for slave traders, and served same purpose for locals and soldiers during the civil war.
The Ogbunike caves are actually a system of many caves linked together by small, tunnels and passages. It is surrounded by thick tropical rain forest. Legends claim that the caves were created by a deity, Ogba, who they believe lives within.
Some fascinating facts about the caves are as follows:
- There is an alleged Talking Stone inside one of the Caves' tunnel. Indigenes call the stone "Nwanyi Akanyi"
- Another tunnel is a crocodile and another, Tortoise.
- There are large colonies of bats that are believed to serves guardians to the caves.
- It is an abomination for a woman under her menstrual period to visit the caves.
- One cannot exit the Cave from where they entered from, another exit point must be used. This is not negotiable. Visitors have to wriggle and crawl their way through until they are led to another passage.
Believe these things or not, the Ogbunike caves have taken on an essence that makes them quite different from any random naturally-occurring underground structure in the World.
Content created and supplied by: JoyObidike'sBlog (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More